Thursday 7 October 2010

RU OK? Day

My attention was brought to an ingenious Australian invention, and not it is not the stubby holder.

They have decided the 7th of October should be RU OK? day. Text spelling aside, it is actually a brilliant idea. As someone who has suffered from depression in the past, I know how hard it can be to open up, especially to people that know you.

RU OK? day can help, as if you see someone, be it at work, down the pub, or anywhere else that you think you can help, you just ask them if they are ok. This might seem strange, but if I knew it was RU OK? day, I might be more inclined to unburden myself to someone asking, rather than issue the usual thoughtless "I'm fine".

I have had a lot on my mind, so I let loose on a message board I visit.  It helped. These people didnt know me face to face, but were prepared to listen, and help, and talk about it. So I say to you, if someone asks how you are, be honest about it, just for today. If someone doesn't look themselves, ask them how they are. You may be surprised by the answer.

For more details visit http://www.ruokday.com.au/content/home.aspx

And let me finish by asking you, yes you! RU OK?

No comments:

Post a Comment